Jan 26, 2012

Yarn Braid/Twist Maintenance

Good Evening!  I apologize for being MIA for a bit.  I've done quite a bit of traveling these past three weeks.  I spent the last couple of days catching up with work.  Anyway, I would like to share with you my cleansing routine for my yarn now twists.  I am in the 3rd week of the 3rd month of my protective style challenge. 
This means in one week I'll be half way through!!!!

Anyway,  Here is my regimen for cleaning my yarn twists.  This was the same for my yarn braids as well.


To begin, I wet my hair in the shower.  It takes forever for yarn to dry so I speed it up by sitting under a hooded dryer sometimes. 

Once I've completely wet my hair and scalp I use Alaffia Shea and Coconut daily Shampoo.  Now I know you all remember me saying how I will never use shampoo again right?  Well this is different.  Aliaffia Shea and Coconut Daily Shampoo is made of mainly black soap.  So there aren't any harsh detergents or chemicals I can't pronounce in it.  It's Fair Trade certified, which is kind of like organic certification. 
I absolutely love this stuff!  My hair feels so silky and moisturized after using this shampoo.  For my yarn twists, I massage the shampoo into my scalp.  The suds from the black soap fall down my twists as I'm washing my scalp.  After that I rinse. 



Once it's all rinse out, I use Alaffia Coconut and Shea daily conditioner.  This is also Fair Trade Certified and contains all natural and organic ingredients.  To view more information, such as ingredients, for Alaffia products click here.  I use this to condition my hair.  I simply apply the conditioner on my twists until I reach the end of my real hair.  I let it sit covered by a plastic cap for as long as I feel.  Then I rinse it out.  That's it! 

For leave in, I use Dr. Bronner's Organic Fair Trade Hair Creme.  This is actually a USDA certified organic leave in conditioner. To view more information about these products click here. I have the lavender and peppermint ones.  This leaves my hair very moisturized.  I also use this when I am putting twists or braids in to get that initial moisture.  I love this stuff! I just apply it to the twist and go.  I let my hair hang down for the whole day so that the twists dry if I don't sit under the hooded dryer

And that's it!  Wash, Condition, Moisturize and keep it moving!  While my hair is in genie locs, I was my hair every 2 weeks.  During the week I spray my scalp with rosemary essential oil and water, and my hair with a mixture of water, Alaffia Shea and coconut conditioner, and jojoba oil.  I hope this helps and if you have any questions please let me know!  Tootles :)

6 comments:

  1. that's a great simple regimen for cleaning yarn braids by the way I love your hair in this style!

    www.deejayspeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting genie locs in a couple weeks, and this is a helpful post that's making me feel a lot better about maintenance. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your twists! Do you have anymore pictures? How many strands did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. how did you achieve those twists? I want to achieve the same thing next time i get my yarn braids. How many strands of yarn did you use and do you possibly have a video tutorial?

    they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete